Translate

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Quotes Of Faith

JOURNEY- NOT A DESTINATION

God, I don't know if I know you or not.
They say you are as close to me as I am to
myself. But you might as well be a stranger
in the mist. If wishes were real, you would
be more real to me than flesh and blood.

Could it be that here is where I lose the
trail: I look for you the way I picture you,
rather than the way you really are?

Do I look up when, perhaps, you have no
direction? Should I even look- can the eyes
see the eye? Am I looking for color in a
song; or sound in a sunset; or trying to
cup-in-hand sweetness and sorrow?

Am I searching for something when
perhaps that "something" is the search?
Could it be that while I walk in flesh, you
will never be a destination- only a journey?

What if I found you? That would be
heaven! But can heaven be on earth? Can
east be in the west?

When does the quest cease to be the
question and become the answer?

Or, perhaps, that is it: the question is the
answer, the search in the discovery. I'm
going, I am already there- as "there" as
any traveler can expect to be.
God does not believe in our God.
- Jules Renard

We know God easily if we do not constrain
ourselves to define him.
- Joseph Joubert

Omitting God leaves man on top... But of a
diminishing universe.
- Frank Sheed, Theology & Sanity

I went to heaven and saw God.
Wow, would you believe: She's black.
- Graffiti at a woman's lib convention

One's religious attitude is to be found at
the point where he has the conviction that
there are values in human existence worth
living and dying for.
- Rollo May, Ma's search for Himself

The book of Genesis says that God created
man to his image and likeness. It seems
that the most perduring heresy in all of
Christian history has been this- that man
has reversed Genesis- man has made God
to his image and likeness.
- John Powell

God is inexpressible. It is easier for us to
say what he is not than what he is...

Nothing is comparable to him...

If you could conceive of him, you would
conceive of something other than God. He
is not at all what you have conceived him
to be.
- Saint Augustine

I think a scientist has a real advantage in
any struggle to conceive and believe in
God. For he is expert in seeing the
unseeable and in believing the essentially
indefinable...

Now, no scientist has ever seen an
electron. "Electron" is simply the name for
a consistent set of things that happen in
certain circumstances. For a while,
physicists thought that the electron was a
particle. Then they realized that electrons
are wave motions. Today they think of
electrons as being both (or either) particles
and waves. Yet nothing seems to them
more "real."

All this may seem ridiculous to you. But
just as there are various complex ideas
about the electron- it is sometimes one
thing, sometimes another; it can't be seen,
and can't be precisely located- so there are
various ideas about God. He, too, I think,
can neither be seen nor precisely located.
- Dr. Warren Weaver, Mathematician
We know God easily if we do not constrain
ourselves to define him.
- Joseph Joubert
NO SUCH THING

People who tell me there is no God are like
a six-year-old boy saying there is no such
thing as passionate love - they just haven't
experience it.
- William Alfred
When we ask, "why am I?" "What should
become of me?" "What is the meaning of
my life?" - then we are exploring . . . the
region of our experience where God may
be known . . .
- Langdon Gilkey
There lives more faith in honest doubt . . .
than in half the creeds.
- Alfred Tennyson
When faith becomes blind. It dies.
- Mohandas Gandhi
Without a consciousness of truth itself,
doubt of truth would be impossible.
- Paul Tillich
Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that
faith is his twin brother.
- Kahlil Gibran
Wonder is the basis of worship.
- Thomas Carlyle
Science ... tells us that nothing in nature,
not even the tiniest particle, can disappear
without a trace. Nature does not know
extinction. All it knows is transformation...

And everything science has taught me...
strengthens my belief in the continuity of
our spiritual existence after death. Nothing
disappears without a trace.
- Wernher von Braun
Someday, after mastering the winds, the
waves, the tides and gravity, we shall
harness for God the energy of love, and
then, for the second time in the history of
the world, man will discover fire.
- Teilhard de Chardin

No comments:

Post a Comment